24.10.2021 – 11:00
World Health Summit
The World Health Summit, one of the most important international conferences on global health, began on Sunday morning in Berlin and online. This year’s meeting focuses on topics such as global strategies for fighting and preventing pandemics, the role of Germany, Europe and the WHO in global health, vaccination equity and climate change and health. 6,000 participants and 380 speakers from all over the world are expected, some on site and some online. The entire program is freely available digitally.
In the run-up to the World Health Summit, the Chairman of the Board of Charité – Universitätsmedizin Berlin, Prof. Dr. Heyo Kroemer on international cooperation, especially in the field of global health: “The global pandemic has shown in a dramatic way that coordinated measures and an unhindered exchange of knowledge and know-how are necessary. “ The World Health Summit is organized at the Charité.
The official opening event of the World Health Summit will take place in the evening. Speakers include: EU Commission President Ursula von der Leyen, Federal Health Minister Jens Spahn, UN Secretary General António Guterres, WHO General Director Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, Roche CEO Bill Anderson, UNICEF Director Henrietta H. Fore and Stefan Oelrich, member of the Board of Directors of Bayer AG and Head of the Pharmaceutical Division.
Livestream of the opening event, October 24th, 6:00 pm – 7:30 pm: www.worldhealthsummit.org. Details on the possible use of picture and sound: see below.
The speakers for the World Health Summit include:
- Ursula von der Leyen, President of the European Commission (video)
- Sanna Marin, Prime Minister, Finland
- Jens Spahn, Minister of Health, Germany
- António Guterres, Secretary-General, United Nations (Video)
- Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, Director-General, World Health Organization (WHO)
- Charles Michel, President of the European Council
- Christian Drosten, Director, Institute of Virology, Charité – Universitätsmedizin Berlin
- Özlem Türeci, Chief Medical Officer, BioNTech
- Seth Berkley, CEO, Gavi, the Vaccine Alliance
- Peter Sands, Executive Director, The Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria
- Agnès Callamard, Secretary General, Amnesty International
- Heyo Kroemer, CEO, Charité – Universitätsmedizin Berlin
- Jane Halton, Chair of the Board, Coalition for Epidemic Preparedness Innovations (CEPI)
- Bernd Montag, CEO, Siemens Healthineers
- Soumya Swaminathan, Chief Scientist, World Health Organization (WHO)
- Lia Tadesse Gebremedhin, Minister of Health, Ethiopia
- Awa Marie Coll-Seck, Minister of State, Ministry of State, Senegal
- Lothar H. Wieler, President, Robert Koch Institute
- Chikwe Ihekweazu, Incoming Assistant Director-General, WHO Hub for Pandemic and Epidemic Intelligence
- Inger Ashing, CEO, Save the Children International
- Paul Stoffels, Vice Chair of the Executive Committee & Chief Scientific Officer, Johnson & Johnson
- Jeremy Farrar, Director, Wellcome Trust
- Henrietta H. Fore, Executive Director, UNICEF
- Bill Anderson, CEO, Roche Pharmaceuticals
- Stefan Oelrich, Member of the Board of Management and Head of the Pharmaceuticals Division, Bayer AG, Germany
- Eckart von Hirschhausen, Physician and Comedian
- John Nkengasong, Director, Africa Centres for Disease Control and Prevention
- Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, Director-General, World Trade Organization (WTO)
More to Speakers: inside
More to Program and topics
Digital participation in the entire World Health Summit is free and possible without prior registration. The zoom links can be called up in the respective sessions in the online program: www.worldhealthsummit.org
All sessions are then also over https://www.youtube.com/user/WorldHealthSummit1 to disposal.
On-site participation is limited due to COVID-19 and only possible by invitation. Access to the venue can only be granted with proof of an EU-approved vaccination, recovery or negative test, not older than 24 hours. The hygiene and distance regulations apply.
The World Health Summit is one of the world’s most important strategic conferences for global health and brings together leading scientists, politicians and representatives from industry and civil society with the aim of setting the course for a healthier future. The forum was founded in 2009 for the 300th anniversary of the Charité and is under the patronage of the Federal Chancellor Angela Merkel, President of France Emmanuel Macron, the President of the European Commission Ursula von der Leyen and Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, Director General of the World Health Organization WHO. The President of the World Health Summit is Axel R. Pries, Dean of the Charité. The international annual president for 2021 is Charles Ibingira from Makerere University College of Health Sciences, Uganda.
Press information: https://www.worldhealthsummit.org/media/presskit.html
The press accreditation for participation on site has ended. If you have any questions, please contact: [email protected]
Online participation is possible without accreditation. Questions can be asked via Q&A and picture and sound can be used by arrangement. Source: World Health Summit
World Health Summit
Kosmos, Karl-Marx-Allee 131a, 10243 Berlin, Germany & Digital
Original content from: World Health Summit, transmitted by news aktuell