24.10.2021 – 19:00
World Health Summit
The 13th World Health Summit officially opened on Sunday evening in Berlin and online. The predominant theme: The lessons of COVID-19.
At the World Health Summit 2021, the most important minds from the global health sector will come together again, 380 digital speakers and 6,000 participants from all over the world are expected on site.
At the opening event in Berlin and online, the President of the European Commission emphasized Ursula von der Leyenthat international cooperation is essential: “Cross-border health threats must be combated across borders”, said von der Leyen. “We need a global standard for health care.” (via Video)
Federal Minister of Health Jens Spahn warned that COVID-19 has profoundly changed the lives of all people worldwide: “Let us now use the lessons we had to learn painfully.”
UN Secretary General António Guterres in his pre-recorded speech called for an equitable distribution of COVID-19 vaccines:“Vaccine nationalism and vaccine hoarding puts us all at risk”.
“The pandemic can be brought under control, but to do this, governments and manufacturers must deliver far more vaccine doses, especially to the most vulnerable countries. Vaccines must be distributed fairly and with solidarity.” also said WHO Director General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus. “The damage COVID-19 has caused makes it clear that we need a more stable global health architecture and political will at the highest level, in the form of a global pandemic pact or agreement.”
Axel R. Pries, President of the World Health Summit called for greater support from supranational institutions: “In order to improve the health of the world population, the supranational organizations must be strengthened”. This is also one of the central topics of this year’s World Health Summit.
Further opening speakers: inside:
- Bill Anderson, CEO, Roche Pharmaceuticals
- Henrietta H. Fore, Executive Director, UNICEF
- Stefan Oelrich, Member of the Board of Management and Head of the Pharmaceuticals Division, Bayer AG
- Soazic Elise Wang Sonne, Social Development Global Practice Young Professional, World Bank
The opening event can then be viewed here as a video: www.youtube.com/user/WorldHealthSummit1
On the second day of the conference, Monday, October 25th, the following will speak among others:
- Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, Director-General, World Health Organization (WHO)
- Christian Drosten, Director, Institute of Virology, Charité – Universitätsmedizin Berlin
- Chikwe Ihekweazu, Incoming Assistant Director-General, WHO Hub for Pandemic and Epidemic Intelligence
- Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, Director-General, World Trade Organization (WTO)
- Lia Tadesse Gebremedhin, Minister of Health, Ethiopia
- Charles Michel, President of the European Council
- John Nkengasong, Director, Africa Centres for Disease Control and Prevention
- Seth Berkley, CEO, Gavi, the Vaccine Alliance
- Soumya Swaminathan, Chief Scientist, World Health Organization (WHO)
- Jeremy Farrar, Director, Wellcome Trust
All information about Speakers: inside
The central topics of the World Health Summit 2021:
- Vaccine Equity: A Call to Action
- Pandemic Preparedness: Lessons from COVID-19
- The Intersection of COVID-19 and Mental Health
- The Role of the European Union in Global Health
- WHO Council on the Economics of Health for All
- Unlocking Digital and AI Technologies for Health
More about the program
Digital participation in the entire program is free and possible without prior registration. The zoom links are available in the respective sessions in the online program www.worldhealthsummit.org retrievable.
All sessions are then available here: www.youtube.com/user/WorldHealthSummit1
On-site participation is limited due to COVID-19 and only possible by invitation. Access to the venue can only be granted with proof of an EU-approved vaccination, recovery or negative test, not older than 24 hours. The hygiene and distance regulations apply.
The World Health Summit is one of the world’s most important strategic conferences for global health and brings together leading scientists, politicians and representatives from industry and civil society with the aim of setting the course for a healthier future. The forum was founded in 2009 for the 300th anniversary of the Charité and is under the patronage of the Federal Chancellor Angela Merkel, President of France Emmanuel Macron, the President of the European Commission Ursula von der Leyen and Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, Director General of the World Health Organization WHO. The President of the World Health Summit is Axel R. Pries, Dean of the Charité. The international annual president for 2021 is Charles Ibingira from Makerere University College of Health Sciences, Uganda.
Press information: https://www.worldhealthsummit.org/media/presskit.html
The press accreditation for participation on site has ended. If you have any questions, please contact: [email protected] Online participation is possible without accreditation. Questions can be asked via Q&A and picture and sound can be used by arrangement. Source: World Health Summit
World Health Summit
Kosmos, Karl-Marx-Allee 131a, 10243 Berlin, Germany & Digital
Original content from: World Health Summit, transmitted by news aktuell